The Parrish Post

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Roast Chicken

I had never bought a whole chicken until a few months ago. It really grossed me out to handle a chicken and have to pull the giblets out of the middle.  yuck.  BUT,  I bought one thinking that a recipe I had seen on my friend Laurin's blog called for a whole chicken.  I came home only to read that she used bone-in skin on chicken BREASTS! Well, I figured I had to cook it since I bought it so I looked online. and decided to use this recipe/video to make a roast chicken

Tonight was the 3rd time I've made it and it was great.  It was the first time that I read the tips at the bottom that said to "let the chicken rest for 10-15 minutes"  I had not done that the previous 2 times I had cooked it.  So after about 7 minutes there was chicken juice all over the cutting board and dripping all over the floor.  gross.  BUT it did make for a much better chicken.  Ray said it was the best one.

SO 3rd times the charm..

I used the recipe almost exactly.  I didn't put in the garlic (only because I rarely get whole clove garlic). and I cut up an onion and stuffed it inside the chicken along with the thyme and spices.  I also threw in carrots with the potatoes and they were tasty!

I forgot to take a picture after everything was roasted... but here are some before.
Roasting...

2 comments:

  1. Yay, Julie!!! I do use a whole chicken from time to time, especially because you can use all the leftover for another meal, which makes life so much easier! I think a lot of people are scared of the whole chicken, but it's not that bad! : ) That little side note about letting meat rest, is actually true for all meats that you would need to cut (ie steaks, roasts, chicken, etc). Crazy that 10-15 minutes can make that big a difference. So glad you tried something new!!

    ReplyDelete