The Parrish Post

Friday, November 19, 2010

Bed Rest

So about 3 weeks ago I was thinking to myself, "bed rest wouldn't be that bad."  I don't really know what made me think about this as I was doing just fine and did not expect for that to ever happen to me.  I was thinking, hey, I love laying on the couch and watching tv, movies, and playing on the internet so it can't be too bad.

Then, just 2 weeks ago I went to the doctor for what I thought were some minor complications. Turned out they found that I have a shortened cervix.  The doctor thought it could be due to an infections.  He put me on bed rest for a few days and gave me some medicine.  By the end of the weekend I was not very fond of bed rest anymore.  I had another appointment to be checked again and was hoping everything would be fine and I could get up.  That appointment did not go as well.  My cervix was shorter than it was before.  Dr. Lyman came in and told me that I had to continue to be on complete bed rest.  We started asking what I could do and he pretty much said no to everything I asked.  He said I could get up to go to the bathroom.  I asked how long I would have to be on bed rest.  He said, "Well, a full term baby is 37-38 weeks"  (I was at 24 weeks).  I started crying a little bit.  He explained to us that if they had not found this problem and I kept working and doing normal activities then i would definitely have a premature baby.  He explained the importance of making it to 28-30 weeks before the baby is born.  I think I cried that entire day.

Our sweet families and friends have surrounded us and encouraged us.  They have helped us in so many ways and we feel so loved.  I have really seen the body of Christ at work in our life.  The prayers and service has been amazing.  It has truly made me feel like we can get through this time in our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment