The Parrish Post

Thursday, August 4, 2011

10 thoughts on our first 10 days

Well, we've been in our new town for about 10 days.  Here are some things we've been doing/some thoughts on our move...

1. We got settled into our apartment.  It's smaller than our house but we are thankful for it. 

2. I'm learning how to get around Oak Ridge. It's not that hard.  Just seems to be 2 or 3 main roads that take you everywhere.  Now getting around Knoxville is a different story.  I made it to target (about 10-15 min away in West Knoxville).  and then I got lost trying to get back home.  There may have been some tears.

3. A good church service at Fellowship Church this weekend. 

4.  A fun friend from college that lives here has invited me to do many things already. She has definitely helped me not feel lonely and I've had so much fun catching up with her! 

5.  I really miss Publix.  There is Kroger and Food City here.  Not going to try food city.  The Kroger in Oak Ridge is older and they are doing construction inside it while you shop and yesterday during my shopping trip a man in one of the motorized carts ran into me.  And the workers at Kroger are just not as friendly as people at Publix and they don't take your groceries to your car for you.  Anyway, I found a new Kroger today - it's a little farther away but it's much nicer.  I will be shopping there. 

6.  We've been to Market Square, downtown Knoxville a few times and will probably go back this weekend.  It's fun to walk around and eat at one of the yummy restaurants there. And when Cole is bigger I'm sure he'll spend some summer days playing in the fountains.
Photo Credit

7.  Fun new friends that we met through my brother invited us to church and lunch with them and then had us over for dinner last night.  It was fun getting to know new people and I made a fruit pizza for desert.  (Danielle told me they would definitely be our friends if I brought that.  It's what won them over!)

8. It's not all fun and games.  gross story: Cole pooped out of his diaper the other day and it got all over the carpet, clothes, towels, and everything else in the way.  Ray happened to be home for lunch and helped me clean it all up.  Cole got two baths and I washed all the clothes etc. 2 times and had to wash myself.   It was Cole's way of saying "Welcome to the world of stay at home motherhood Mom"

9.  We've been on a few walks on the greenway in Oak Ridge.  It's really beautiful and I've enjoyed it but it's been so hot (not quite as bad as Columbia).  So this will be an activity for the fall.

View from our walk     


10.  I miss all my friends and the wonderful community we were blessed with in Columbia. I'm so thankful for those relationships and so grateful to how God blessed our time there.   I long for that again.   I'm praying for good friends for us here and a good church family.  I'm thankful for God's faithfulness over our lives and his guidance in leading us here.  We are enjoying our new adventure. 

2 comments:

  1. Here are my two thoughts on your 10.....Fruit Pizza will make you many friends...and we miss you too! The Bachelorette finale was just not the same! And your renters are great, but not quite the same to plop down and talk to (although Esteban likes em' a lot...they play soccer and may be on the same team). Anyway....not as fun as you though! Miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are building 3 publix stores in west knoxville so one will be in farragut around where the nice kroger is. i will shop there when it opens next summer.

    ReplyDelete