The Parrish Post

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Reflections

This week has been a long one.  It is the next to last week of school so every day feels like forever.  I am so excited and ready for summer to be here so I can stay home with my sweet little boy and love and enjoy him for 9 whole weeks.  

But today I was reflecting on this year.  I had a 5 month hiatus because of bed rest and maternity leave and I really think the Lord gave me a break just when I needed it.  This is only my 4th year of teaching but I was worn out.  I'm so thankful for the time I had off to rest.  And now that I'm coming out of the fog of getting back in the habit of working/having a newborn at home, I remember that I do love being a teacher.  Since going back to work I've thought about how I want Cole to be loved on and cared for all day while I am gone and I realized that I am that person to  20 sweet, rowdy, little kids.  I want to strive to be a better teacher next year. 

This week I was also thinking about my fabulous assistant.  She has been with me since I started teaching 4 years ago. She helped me through my first year teaching.  She came to my wedding.  She was so excited when I found out I was pregnant.  She calls Cole her nephew :).  She laughs with me, cries with me, and helps me clean tables, serve lunch, read books, teach lessons, make copies, stuff folders, cut out things, laminate things, and a million other tasks.  I spend every week day with her.  We found out this weekend that our principals have moved her to another class next year :( and they have put a different assistant in my room.  I called her when I found out and we cried.  Monday morning when I saw her in the hallway she was crying.   I'm so ready for school to be done this year but that means that my years with Ms. Martin will be over.  This week has been bittersweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment